Monday, November 3, 2008

A funny thing happened after the election

I just realized something. That is to say, that I just admitted something to myself that has been true for a long time.

I haven't watched network news since George W. Bush was elected. For the past 8 years I have gotten 100% of my news from the internet and cable television. Why? I couldn't stand to see or hear our President speak. There is some element in his voice that makes my arm instantly punch buttons on the car radio to get to the next station....any station that isn't giving him airtime. I actually wince when I am forced to look at him. I have never seen nor cared to hear a state of the union address, a press conference, a fireside chat, or an address to the country live. I knew that the next day the New York Times would summarize it for me without my ever having to see or hear that awful little man.

It all started in 2000 when I firmly believe GWB, his brother Jeb and the Supreme Court delivered Florida, a state he didn't actually win. There are some things I find inexcusable. Stealing a national election falls in that category. You never know when I'm going to have this reaction. For example, one of my fellow graduate students (on the first day I met him), walked up to a car in the faculty parking lot and ripped one of those Christian fish decorations off a very nice car and threw it in the weeds. When I asked him what the hell he was doing, he told me that people who believe in God are stupid. He didn't care that it was a very nice car and he may have damaged it. He didn't care that it wasn't his property. He didn't care that other people were entitled to opinions that differed from his. He was and remains in my mind a supreme asshole. I was done with that guy on the first day I met him. Despite having skyscraper respect for Rudy Guiliani following the 9/11 attacks, he threw away all that goodwill with his mocking comments about community organizers at the Republican National Convention. I could care less about anything Guliani has to say in the future. Not a damn thing any of them will ever be able to do to win back my allegiance.

I am convinced that Bush won again (much to my chagrin and utter disbelief) by capitalizing on the fear over terrorism and 9/11. I have no respect for the man. I never will. He has turned out to be exactly the kind of president that I anticipated. He's stupid. He's a bully. He may personally care about individual Americans, but he doesn't care about America. Mark my words, he will go down in history as the worst president we have ever had--a title formerly held by Ronald Reagan.

I know that Tom Brokaw retired, that Dan Rather was embroiled in some professional scandal that ended his career, and that Peter Jennings died. I have no idea who replaced them.

I find myself uninterested, although not reviled, by anything McCain has to say. I wonder if he wins if I will come to avoid him as well. I doubt it. Slimy as his campaign has been, it hasn't been in the same category as say Rudy Guiliani. I'm at least willing to give a President McCain a chance. Sarah Palin is another story. I think her campaign slogan should be "Oh no we won't".

In any event, I hope to be a regular viewer of some or all of the network news channels after the inauguration. One can hope. I gots hope.

1 comment:

  1. I'm looking forward to waking up to NPR and hearing Obama. The sound of his voice won't make me whine "Noooo, make it stop!" like hearing GWB, McCain or Palin while I'm still only half awake.

    ONE MORE DAY!!!

    ReplyDelete