Monday, November 24, 2008

Why Being Single Sucks

Liv wrote a lovely post about camping. She took it down or the post is otherwise gone AWOL, so I can't link to it, but it did show up in my reader. It was a great post. She should repost it IMO.

Anyhoo, there was a pic in there of her camp mates. Boy-girl, boy-girl, boy-girl. Even if boy-girl aren't exactly the sort of key-and-lock boy-girl parts type relationship, I did notice it. And I thought how I was talking about going on that trip. It'd've been boy-girl, boy-girl, boy-girl, girl. And being that last girl is sometimes just ugh.

Here's the thing about being single. You notice things like everyone else on a trip having a partner. Take camping. Now the obvious lack of a partner can be alleviated somewhat when one has dog in tow, especially if that dog is particularly popular, but when one has old dogs that must stay home, they do the single person no good. And so there is the pitching of the tent alone. And the organizing of dinner alone. And the single camp chair. When it's daylight it is hardly noticeable. And then there's the whole thing at the end of the night just before tent-time when the talk dies down and the couples move their camp chairs a little closer and then all toddle off to their tents with their partners, hand in hand.

About then, I'm usually opening another beer and trying to act like I'm intensely interested in the state of the fire. There's a lot of "no, no, you go on, I'll take care of this" kind of thing. It's been this way a long time. I have been single a long time now. I keep meeting people who don't share my interests. And I refuse to stop doing the things I enjoy just because I'm single, but I am tired of camping alone.

I had a date with Curtis on Saturday. Yes, I agreed to see him after all that pseudonym business. He likes riding go-carts and bowling. His idea of a great vacation is puttering around on a cruise ship, only stepping off to explore one sandy beach after another. I think my opinion of sand has been well documented. He hasn't been fishing since he was a kid. He's never been camping as an adult.

*deep sigh*

I am really tired of camping alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment