Sunday, November 9, 2008

In all fairness...

I can't rail on the rest of the world without pointing out my own foibles. So here is the list of my own behavior that, generally speaking, drives the rest of the world nuts.

  • I'm late. A lot.
  • I don't care that I'm late. Hardly ever.
  • I can't remember names. And despite people thinking that they aren't important or that I don't care, I do spend a great deal of energy trying to imprint names in my head. It only works some of the time. That said, I can't remember names of movie stars, even ones I find incredibly handsome or talented. Heck, sometimes I can't remember names of people I see every day. If you graduate and move away, trust me, I'm not going to remember your name.
  • I procrastinate.
  • I sometimes say things that people (not me) perceive as stinging criticism. I guess I assume that others have as thick a skin as I do and take criticism well.
  • I'm not very good with tears. Mine or anyone else's.
  • I don't do being frustrated well.
  • I don't relate well to children.
  • I cuss.
  • I cuss in front of your mother.
  • I cuss in front of my mother.
  • I get on my soap box sometimes.
  • When someone or something gets under my skin, you may have to just listen to it for a while if you are around me.
  • I often value animals more than people.
  • I won't back down if I think I'm right.
  • I love practical jokes.
  • Sometimes I don't listen. Worse still, I'll pretend I'm listening.
  • Sometimes I like to be the center of attention. Not always. Just sometimes.
  • Unless life or limb are at stake, I won't try to stop you from making stupid mistakes. After all, life is an adventure, some of the best lessons are learned from experience, and I have found you often look back on those as the good times, regardless of the stupidity of the action.
  • I love to eat.
  • I can get wildly passionate about things. (Although Mellisa said she loves to hear me talk about things I'm passionate about, so maybe this isn't so bad?)

On the other hand, I have some good qualities.

  • I am incredibly productive when I want to be.
  • I often give good advice. I chalk this up to having done a lot of stupid things in my life.
  • I have an overdeveloped sense of justice.
  • I believe that loyalty and friendship are earned. If you are my friend, there's just about nothing I won't do for you.
  • I am kind and generous with my time, with compliments, and with my energy.
  • I like to laugh. A lot.
  • I forgive easily.
  • I can tell a joke.
  • I have unusual stories. Most of them true.
  • I can motivate people and get them involved.
  • I am a decent leader.
  • I am an excellent public speaker.
  • I admit when I'm wrong. I apologize when I offend.
  • I don't have a malicious bone in my body.
  • I can talk to anyone.
  • If you have an adventure, an idea for an adventure, a crackpot idea, a too-good-to-be-true fantasy, I will wrack my brain about how we can make it happen
  • Two words: ROAD TRIP.
  • I never met a dog I didn't like. Even my brother's stupid bird dog.
  • I like to fancy that I'm objective.
  • I'm a good listener. I've learned that sometimes all that is necessary is for someone to listen. To listen while you repeat yourself. To listen while you vent. To listen to your pain. To listen while you ask rhetorical questions. Just listen.
  • I don't stick my foot in my mouth nearly as much as I did when I was younger.

No comments:

Post a Comment