Thursday, November 6, 2008

Kelty Gunnison 4.1 Tent 4-Person 3-Season Review


Another product review. Thought I'd post some of my reviews from online here as well.


Kelty Gunnison 4.1 Tent 4-Person 3-Season
Rating for this product: 5 June 21, 2008

Got this mid-way through a 33-day trip across the American southwest, mostly dry camping on BLM land. I set it up on sand, grass, rock, and hardpan. The first time I set it up, I had to do it in the dark in high winds amid cactus without having read the directions.(This tent was an emergency replacement for a cheaper one that didn't survive the harsh conditions.) Aside from the fact that it is extremely light (be sure to secure at least one corner before erecting the poles), it was a breeze. On clear nights, this tent is fantastic. The sides prevent water and dirt from blowing in and the mesh panels allow for some spectacular star-gazing. The two sided entry is fantastic. My ONLY complaint about this product is that the rain cover is difficult to align properly. Twice I connected 2 of the cover's snaps only to find out they didn't align with the door. They could have avoided all of the confusion by color-coding the snap-locks or the webbing at each corner. I'm going to put a splash of paint on each one. While probably too heavy for backpacking (and too large a footprint as well), it does pack well. The pole, stake and tent bags are roomy enough to stuff the tent in easily. WARNING, the tent stakes are cheap and bend easily. Get yourself some sturdy ones for a buck at the nearest discount/outdoor store. You're going to need them even the first time. This is a fantastic car camping tent and roomy for two adults. I'm sure this is going to be a long-lasting tent. I recommend using a tarp or footprint to increase the longevity of the tent bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment